Here is the thing,
Blogging costs money. Sending emails to your subscribers cost money. Yeah, buddy, it isn't free. Creating content actually cost money, blog visuals cost money.
These costs add up. If you don't find a way to make the most of visitors coming to your website, you might not have enough money to renew your website hosting and continue meeting your blogging costs.
Many blogs die off, the majority being because of piling costs that could no longer make sense incurring.
This is something I am starting to take seriously with PennyMatters. To continue being relevant, and useful, we have to remain profitable.
If I had learned this first before starting this blog, then I would have scaled much quickly.
The best ways of sustaining your blog are:
- Selling digital products
- Affiliate marketing
- Offering services
In this article, we will have a look at how to make money with affiliate marketing
If you don't have your own digital products yet, you should think of doing affiliate marketing.
What's Affiliate Marketing?
This is commission-based marketing, where, you as an affiliate is paid a commission for every sale you make promoting a product.
You choose the products you want to promote and earn a good amount of every sale made through your link. Typically, this is usually between 30-50% commission for most digital products and SaaS. Physical goods such as Amazon associates usually pay much less, often less than 10%
You get to promote the products that you are using and genuinely love. For instance, your web host provider. Are they any good?
To get you started, I recommend you take on an affiliate marketing mini-course or grab an ebook on the same.
I suggest Ana's affiliate marketing bundle as it has everything you need as an affiliate marketer, including highly-paying affiliate programs to join
This bundle consists of four products:
- 50+ pages Affiliate marketing ebook
- Video tutorials
- The Affiliate Programs Masterlist consisting of 600+ affiliate programs you can join and start promoting
- Two case studies teaching you exactly how they started with affiliate marketing
- Invitation to a private Facebook community focused on affiliate marketing.
I recommend this because it is also the most affordable affiliate marketing bundle that I have found quite useful.
Getting it Right
Now, if you are starting a blog, my advice is to start with the end in mind. Create a digital product if you already have the expertise, even before you launch a blog. Explore affiliate programs you will be promoting and make sure they align with your overall blogging strategy.
When you have all these synchronized, it's no surprising making your first sale on the first day of launching your blog
Quick Affiliate Marketing Strategies
To make money with affiliate marketing, you need to be intentional. You can't just throw around content in the hopes that it will stick. You have to make it stick. Some of the tips to get you started:
- Promote genuinely great products: Your key role as a content creator is to find useful resources that help others achieve particular goals. By only promoting great products, you foster loyalty and trust.
- Work with the profitable affiliate programs: You have to earn those dollars yet you only have a limited time to create affiliate content. It thus makes sense to only join affiliate programs that are not only relevant to your audience but also pay well in terms of commissions.
- Make your content natural, engaging, and useful: Your affiliate content needs to blend well with your overall blog topic/purpose. To hone in, you need to create detailed useful content around particular affiliate products and programs. These could be anything from product reviews, tutorial guides, product comparisons to case studies.
- Develop content that outranks your competitors: SEO is big for affiliate marketers. While you will make sales within the first few days after publishing your content since you will be doing heavy promotions, you need to ensure that your strategy has a longterm game plan. Develop content around keywords that you can easily rank for.
- Continue growing your best source of high-quality traffic. Find one source that works for you and invest heavily in it. Spreading your time and budget all over may not be a sustainable model for most solopreneurs
- Build a list of engaged email subscribers: The success of any online business lies is on the list. You want to build an audience around your main affiliate product. For instance, if you are promoting a web hosting company like Bluehost, you may want to start a 7 days free blogging course
- Be useful, be relatable, be caring. Hard selling will not cut with. When recommending products do so without being annoying.
Where to Find Best Affiliate Programs to Join?
Finding profitable affiliate programs to join can be quite a hassle since only certain programs are good for certain niches. Luckily, if you purchase the bundle above, then you already have a list of over 500+ programs.
If you didn' then you can still access her list separately here
Below are some of the ways to find best programs you can promote.
- Individual affiliate programs: Various brands and bloggers run their own affiliate products. Simply visit brands' websites and check to see if they have listed their affiliate programs.
- Join affiliate networks: Affiliate networks like Impact, Rakuten, Shareasale, Awin, etc have tons of brands that you can join from within the network
- Search for lists of affiliate programs using queries such as affiliate programs for bloggers, affiliate programs for fashion bloggers, recurring affiliate programs, etc.
Doing affiliate marketing? Tell us what strategies have worked for you. Did you take an online course before starting? If not, then how did you learn how to make money with affiliate marketing?