SEO is arguably the best way to get quality traffic to your business website that is more likely to convert. However, it doesn’t come easy, considering that Google, the giant of search, has roughly over 200 ranking factors.
That’s a lot, considering mastering link building alone can take years. As an online entrepreneur, your focus is on empowering your potential customers, earn their loyalty and get them to take action, whether subscribing to your list or making a purchase.
But before anything else can happen, you have to get them on your website. Now, this is where SEO differentiates itself from all the other sources of traffic. People who come to your website via search, arrive there because they were following results to their search query. They were not incentivized via an ad to be there. Thus these are the visitors who are way more likely to make a purchase from your website.
In this article we share proven SEO tips for small businesses that you should implement so that you can potentially grow your revenues.
Best SEO Tips for Small Businesses
Now let’s dive in. While there are several SEO tips that you can follow, we gonna focus on a few that are worth implementing on your website. Even a small change can make a whole lot difference.
1: Develop Insanely Comprehensive Content That Gets Audience Wowed.
When it comes to SEO, quality beats quantity anytime.
Take time to find your most promising long tail keywords. Once you’ve found one that you have a better chance at ranking, then break it down into sub keywords. Use these as your article’s subtopics.
If having a challenge at developing the right structure, head over to UDEMY. Yes, that site where people learn almost anything with free courses. Search your key phrase and choose the course that best represents your article topic. Click through and look at the course outline. See if you can borrow subtopics from there.
Once you have a workable outline, start researching, pulling in data, facts and points, then get on with writing. Tackle each subtopic explicitly.
You want approach long-form content with the attitude of providing the best comprehensive answer one can possibly give. Experts say do that, then 10x better. You can always go back and improve it until you have content that you are proud of, one that you want to print and frame.
Write first for humans. Write the best content in a conversational manner, and if you do this right, your keywords will naturally fit in the article. Then optimize a bit by including internal links, adding metadata and linking to it from your other published articles
When you start outreach for links, people will be more than willing to link to your resource, since it’s nothing they have seen on the internet.
To learn more about content creation, check out this free content writing video course
Believe it or not, backlinks remain one of the most important Google’s ranking factors to-date. Well, correct that to, quality backlinks.
But what are quality backlinks?
These are mostly editorial links from authority sites relevant to your industry. If I have an SEO agency and I get an editorial link from Backlinko’s SEO guides that would really give my agency website SEO juice.
So when building links, you want to find blogs that are related to your business and reach out to them to see a possibility of collaboration.
To build quality backlinks consider doing the following:
- Guest posting on relevant high domain blogs (Guest Blogging)
- Outreach for links inclusion to your insanely comprehensive article
- Use the broken links approach to build backlinks
- Create resourceful infographic and include a way for people to embed them on their website
- Do outreach to build links for your infographic by offering to write custom intros that they can use to post your infographic
To continue ranking your website highly on Google, develop and habit of making at least 30 outreaches every month with the help of some outreach marketing tools. So long as you have something worth linking to, you shouldn’t be afraid to reach out to the giants in your industry.
3: Improve User Experience
As a small business owner, you want to make the most of every visitor that lands on your website through search. This is your highly converting prospects and you don’t want to her bouncing back before you get the chance to meet her.
What to do to improve user experience:
- Improve loading speed: You just gotta have to make your website load under a second somehow. If you are using WordPress, get rid of most plugins by installing Elementor page builder and a simple theme like Astra. You can build any website with these two. Implement caches with your website to immensely reduce second loading times
- Reduce Bounce rate: To reduce the bounce rate, which is a Google ranking factor, you want to have your visitors clicking through to other pages on your website. Thus having super easy navigation is important. Include super related and equally quality posts at the end of the article as well as internal links.
- Increase Dwell Time: To increase Dwell time, you want to ensure that you write highly engaging comprehensive content. Add visuals such as infographics, engaging imagery, videos, etc. Adding a comment section can also help your readers stay a little longer as they peruse the comments section to see what others are saying about your post.
- Remove annoying ads: Flashy ads not only add to your site’s loading speed but also annoy your prospects as they struggle to read your content. Being a small business, you want the focus to be on your products and service.
- Adopt minimalist web design: Every element of your website should only exist because it's serving a particular purpose. Read our guide on minimalist web design to learn more. You can also outsource our web design service here
4: Overhaul Your ‘Almost’ First Page Posts
Did you know that by simply boosting your posts to page 1 of Google, you can easily double your traffic? You don’t have to even write new content.
Dig out articles that are ranking on page 2 for certain keyphrases. You can discover these in your Google’s analytics. From your dashboard, go to Acquisition>> Search console>>Queries. While here, you want to use advanced filtering so as to show posts whose average position is greater than 10.
The next step is to examine these articles, updating them one by one. Find out the articles ranking for your search phrases, and mode their approach. Update links, add more authoritative citing, stats, details, examples, images and illustrations
If you’ve added tons of new content, you may consider republishing them. This way they show up on top of your blog feed.
5: Scale Your Small Business Quickly by Outsourcing SEO Services.
Truth be told, you are good at what you do. Helping your clients to get the results that they need or delivering products to your customers.
On the other hand, there’s SEO, and content promotion. Something that demands your attention and time. To be on top of your game, you need to be SEO alert. That includes monitoring Google trends, changes in Google’s algorithm, link building etc. These activities take a whole lot of your business time.
By outsourcing SEO, you will be able to have enough time to work on activities that actually directly translate into profits. The bottom line.
Outsourcing SEO entails working with a reputable SEO company that offers specialized search engine optimization services such as SEO auditing, link building, on-page optimization, keyword analysis etc. so as to improve websites’ visibility online
Why would you want to outsource SEO services?
- You’re not the best qualified person for this job. SEO agencies have years and years of experience in the search marketing industry. They have lots of data to rely on and have purchased premium tools that help them do keyword research and SEO audit in minutes, something that will probably take you weeks. So by outsourcing SEO, you can tap from this specialized experience.
- Get Measurable results. Most reputable SEO agencies will track your SEO progress based on standard metrics and report to you from time to time. With these reports, the agency can advise on what needs to be done to achieve particular goals. This way, you will gradually increase your search rankings
These simple yet effective SEO tips for small businesses can make a whole lot difference within a year of serious implementation. To get started, pick one and run with it. Personally I suggest you create one insanely awesome content, then reach out to influencers and ask them to link to your resource.