Running a student blog is an excellent way to share your experiences with students from all over the world. Plus, if you are a student yourself, it is even easier since you are much more positioned to understand what topics interest your readers and what formats are best for each topic.
However, there are many successful student-focused blogs run by non-students, so as long as you are willing to do thorough audience research, finding great relatable topics shouldn't be a problem.
Best Blog Topics for Students
The best blog topics for college students are those that cover different aspects of life, skills, and career opportunities.
These blogs focus on informative, inspiring, and helpful posts about the life of a college student. Students looking for motivation to be more productive can read these blogs. They are full of tips for getting ahead in class, assignments, exams, and studying skills.
Bloggers often write about life after college as well. Other topics you might see include essays on different aspects of college life, dangers of social media, product reviews for students, amongst others.
To help you out, here are 250+ student topics grouped under 40 main areas of specialization that are sure to pique your readers' interest!
1) College Life
This is the most obvious topic you could ever blog about, so if you haven't already, it's time to start. There are many ways you can approach this blog post topic. For example, you could write about:
- Making friends as a freshman.
- Overcoming homesickness.
- A typical day in the life of a college student
- Difficulties you face with parents now that you are living on your own.
- What to do when all your friends are out partying while you have to study for an exam the next day.
- Best Marketplaces for students
- Review of different student marketplaces such as Parer Dewey, Unibui and Uloop.
- Different types of college cultures
- Managing time as a college student
2) Study Tips
You'll be surprised how many students look up this query every month… over 33,000. Combine that with related queries such as study tips for college, study tips for college, study tips for students, study tips for exams, etc., and you can easily have a potential reach of 100K a month.
- Here are some great ideas for this topic:
- Ways to make flashcards more efficient.
- Tips for remembering key concepts while studying.
- Memorization techniques you could use (for example, the method of loci).
- Top 10 tips on how to study smarter
- Best study tips for college that smart students use
- 3 Ways to study better for tests
- How active listening boosts your performance in lectures
- The benefits of writing everything down
3) Digital Learning and Online Colleges
Today, more and more people are studying online. In fact, it's estimated that by 2025, the eLearning industry could be worth $370 Billion! Elearning means that students can access the best of education from prominent universities without traveling miles away, amassing huge expenses along the way.
That said, navigating the online learning landscape doesn't come without its own set of challenges, and students should be aware of these. Here are some ideas that can form the basis for your student blogs:
- The pros and cons of taking online courses
- How to overcome distractions while studying online
- The best online classes you can take as a college freshman
- Challenges of being a student in an online college
4) College Life Hacks
A “Hack” is an informal term meaning a creative way to get things done. People tend to use this term when they come up with a quick solution and it's usually more practical than conventional methods.
College students are constantly looking for ways to make their lives easier, and they'll love reading about the different college life hacks you found out about.
Here are some examples:
- How to study for exams with limited time
- Studying tips and tricks for students
- Creative ways to save money when you go grocery shopping
- Quick ways to study without getting overwhelmed with homework
- How studying abroad helped me become more independent
- A complete guide to buying your college textbooks online for cheap
- 13 things I wish I knew as a freshman
- How to maximize your productivity at college
College life hacks are practical, easy-to-follow steps that can help students save time or solve problems.
5) Current Events in Higher Education
On a related note, you could also write about the latest news from the education industry. Since your blog's focus is to help students with all matters related to higher education, it's only expected that you'd blog about the latest developments in the industry.
Here are some ideas for your blog posts:
- The effects of budget cuts on colleges and universities around the country.
- The pros and cons of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course)
- The latest changes in higher education legislation.
- A discussion about student loans
- Curriculum changes and their effects on institutions and learners
6) Student Expert Series
You can also use your blog to interview other successful students, and write about their experiences. This way, instead of just rambling on with regards to the student topics above, you'd have a more authoritative source that will back up your arguments.
This is a great idea if you want to attract links to your blog and have these featured students spreading the word about your blog.
You can invite students to talk about critical topics such as:
- The truth about securing an internship in the corporate world
- Things they learned doing internships at freshman's level that got them way ahead of their classmates
- How to stand apart against the competition in college
- Choosing the right college major that aligns with your career goals
- Productivity hacks for learning and concept mastery
- The value of extracurricular activities during college
7) Personal Development for Students
You can write about anything that has to do with personal development. This blog topic is very popular because every student wants to be successful, and blogging about how you can improve your life will definitely appeal to students.
- How to stop procrastinating once and for all
- The 5 things successful people do in their morning routine
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective College Students
8) The College Experience
You can blog about your own college experiences. You could write about what you learned during your time as a student, lessons that took you years to learn but only needed half the time if you knew it. This is definitely an entertaining topic because everyone wants to know how to survive college like a pro!
Here are some posts that map out a proper college experience:
- How to make the most of your freshman year
- The things no one tells you about college (and why they don't)
- How I spent my summer vacation after freshman year
9) College Rankings and Reviews
Another trending topic is college ranking lists. It's a way for students to choose the best institutions to invest in, and it also helps professors and students alike determine which institutions are best suited for certain purposes.
Here are some blog posts you can write on college rankings:
- The best colleges in the US for international students (and why)
- A review of the top 10 universities in Europe (with details about each)
- Best colleges to study fashion design
- Best online universities that offer Digital Marketing courses
10) Earning Money Online Topics
To sustain their living expenses, students turn to make money online techniques. You can give them tips on how they can maximize their efforts and be successful in their goals.
Here are some ideas for your blog posts:
- How to make the most of Upwork as a student (or other freelancing websites)
- The best companies hiring college students across different majors and disciplines
- Best online business ideas for students
- How to make money while in college
- Different types of jobs you can do during college
- Benefits of work experience as a student (or intern)
- How to start an Instagram for business if you are a student
- Making money on YouTube as a student
Just make sure the ideas you share on your blog are all legal, for example, content writing for blogs, freelance development, virtual assistance, online tutoring, etc.
Writing academic research papers and essays for other students, though popular, isn't legal, so you want to steer away from recommending it.
11) Student Saving Tips and Hacks
What are the best ways to stay afloat financially throughout college? This is one of the biggest problems students face because they don't want to be bogged down with debt when they graduate.
You can blog about anything that solves this problem or makes it easier for students, so here are some ideas:
- How to save up money for college
- How to find scholarships for college students
- How to borrow money without getting ripped off by student loan companies
- The best places to eat in your college town if you have a limited budget
- How to find the cheapest textbooks online
- The best grocery stores with the best student discounts
12) Top Five Lists and Best of the Web
There's always a place for top-five lists on any blog. People like reading them because they're short and to the point, but it also helps if there are pictures or videos in your blog post.
Here are some ideas for this topic:
- 5 apps every college student should download
- 5 apps students can use to make extra money
- 8 ways to make friends as a transfer student
- The best cameras for bloggers and online content creators
13) College Essay Tips and Advice
You can blog about how students can improve their writing skills, or you can write posts that highlight successful tips from other writers. There's no limit to what you want to talk about on this topic, and it's really up to you and your expertise.
Here are some ideas:
- How I wrote a great college essay even though English isn't my first language
- A list of the best places to get free stuff for your essay (such as finding quotes or using background material)
- Tips on how students can write better college essays in a shorter amount of time
- How to be successful in your college writing assignments without going insane
- College essay formats
- College essay examples
- How to format and structure your college essay.
14) Pre-College Topics
You can also target students looking for placement in the universities. To reach these students, you can write on topics such as:
- How to prepare for university or college
- Choosing a course based on your strengths
- Studying abroad as part of your degree
- Getting to know the different types of student accommodation available
- How I chose my top 10 universities worldwide
- How to choose the right major for you
- Pre-college summer programs
- Summer programs for high school students
15) Colleges and Universities
Your student-focused blog can also focus on writing about particular universities and grouping them on various merits and areas of specialization. This way, you can help many students to find the right college for them.
Some of the topics include:
- A given college review ( e.g. Yale College Review, Harvard Review, FIDM Review, etc.)
- Universities with the best programs
- High-ranking universities worldwide for different courses (engineering, medicine, law, etc)
- Universities with the best programs and policies for international students
- Best universities in a given country or region( Best universities in Australia, Best universities in Africa, etc.)
- How to get into series( for instance, how to get into Oxford-admission stats and tips.)
- The best colleges for a nontraditional student
16) Funding and Scholarships
If your blog focuses on giving students financial advice, you can write about different scholarships that are available for specific degrees. You can also write articles on funding that may be offered to students by the government or other institutions interested in helping young people find their way into higher education.
Some topics include:
- Best ways to get a scholarship for your master's program in the US
- How to apply for scholarships
- Different scholarship opportunities for students
- 5 ways to finance your studies abroad.
- Securing grants for your academic projects
- The best financial aid services available online
- What are the perks of working during college?
- Types of student loans
- Federal student loans you should apply for
- Funding college through scholarships and grants
- Getting approved for student loans
- Choosing the right student loan program
- What are the different types of federal loans? How to apply?
- How to pay back your student loan after school.
17) Mental Health Topics for Students (College Stress and Anxiety Blog Topic Ideas)
Many students struggle to cope with stress, anxiety, or depression. You can write posts that give students coping mechanisms and ways to deal with the pressure. Some of these topics include:
Dealing with Stress, Anxiety, and Depression in College
- 4 healthy tips to fight anxiety and depression
- 10 things you should be doing if you feel overwhelmed by college stress
- 6 mental health benefits I experienced from meditation
- How to have a productive day as a student.
- How to prepare for college mentally
- How to make your classroom feel like a second home (creating a positive environment)
- Why visiting a counselor will help you during college
19) All About Internship
Another very popular topic is how to get an internship or a job. You can write about what you know and give tips on how students can make the best of their college years when it comes to getting jobs.
Here are some posts that will help students find internships:
- Types of internships to consider during college
- How to ace your first internship interview
- Different types of jobs you can do during college
- What is the difference between paid and unpaid internships? How to choose?
- Top 5 tips for landing your first internship.
- Best ways to look for an internship as a student.
- How to land an internship in the corporate world for fresh graduates
- How you can use your internship as a stepping stone for your career
- What exactly makes an internship more valuable than just extra credits?
- How to find an internship that suits your skills and interests
20) Jobs for Students after College
Here, you can write about different post-college options that students have. Write blog posts on the perks of each job type, salaries, average workloads, etc. Some possible topics include:
- 8 jobs for students after college that pay well.
- The top 10 highest paying temp jobs in America.
- How working as an online English teacher can help your career.
- How to apply for jobs like a pro
- How to use LinkedIn to find job opportunities
- Preparing for your first job interview after college
- Conducting informational interviews with employers
- What is the best way to land a job coming out of college with no work experience?
- What to do after graduating college
21) College Majors
This is a topic that your readers can get really excited about, especially if you're discussing the benefits of what they want to major in. Use this opportunity to give more information on what their chosen degree path will be like. Just make sure you're not advocating something that you don't know much about!
- Other than writing about each specific major, you can also write on:
- College majors with the highest starting salaries
- Which degrees give you the most job security?
- Top 10 reasons why business and economics majors make more money than other graduates.
- 5 tips to prepare for your first semester as a college student.
- Future-proof degree programs you should take
- What should I choose – liberal arts, social sciences, or physical sciences?
- How to choose a college major that suits your interests and personality.
22) Popular and on-demand areas of studies
Another trending topic is the latest studies about different fields of work. It's important because people are always looking for the latest news in college.
You can write about these topics to help students choose majors and find out more about different options they have when it comes to choosing a career path after college:
- Why you should learn how to code in 2022
- The most popular and in-demand jobs in America (and what skills you'll need to get these jobs)
- Most popular college majors for undergraduates
- 10 in-demand careers you can study online
- Highest paying college majors
23) Studying Abroad Topics
Studying abroad is a dream of many students, especially those who do not come from regions with the best educational facilities. It's not just about the facilities though – many students also go to study abroad because they want to get a different cultural experience. Review different overseas programs and discuss the trip planning process.
If you've done it yourself or if you know someone who has, then writing about your experiences makes for a good read. Other topics related to studying abroad that you can blog about are:
- How to apply for student exchange programs
- Study abroad costs and how much it will really affect your finances.
- The best countries to study in as an international student.
- Studying abroad in Europe vs studying in the US
- What you need to know about studying abroad in Australia
- The hardest thing about studying abroad as an undergraduate student
- Share your experiences as an international student.
- Transferring college credits when shifting to colleges in different countries,
- Things to do before shifting colleges to different countries, etc.
- How studying abroad can help students gain more opportunities in the future.
24) Student Travel Tips
Students often look for advice on where to go, what to do, and what is worth experiencing in the world today.
Blog posts about traveling as a student can include:
Many students have the desire of traveling during their college years but are limited by money or time. These topics will give them tips on how they can travel more while still being a student. Some great topics include:
- How to travel abroad as a student
- The most budget-friendly places to visit
- How to save money for that trip you've always wanted
- Where students like traveling the most
- The best time to visit different destinations
- How to travel as a student on a budget
- Off the beaten path must-see places in different cities around the world.
- Where to visit while studying abroad in the UK
- Best student travel groups
25) Tips for Part-Time Students
Going to college at the same time as working can be tough. Here are some possible topics you could write about:
- How to keep your grades up when working a part-time job
- Finding part-time jobs that fulfill your school hours
- How balancing college and work affects grades and stress
- How to juggle a full-time job and college without burning out
- Tips for managing your time when you work and go to school
26) College Life Problems & Solutions
When you live in a community like a college or a university, problems are bound to come up.
Different students will face different challenges depending on the environment they're living in and their personal characteristics. College life can be hard, especially when it comes to things such as adjusting to the new college lifestyle, making new friends, or having the right study habits.
Here are some topics you could blog about:
- College Life Problems – topics about real problems that students face in college life such as homesickness, loneliness, procrastination…etc.
- Dealing with difficult roommates
- Solving the issue of making friends when moving into a new college dorm
- How to deal with stressful situations – things students can do to stay calm when they're facing a lot of stress in college
- Partying tips for students – what to know before going out with friends the first time, partying responsibly, getting home safely after a party, etc.
27) College Essay and Application Tips
Applying to college can be difficult, especially since there are so many things you must include in your essays and application.
These topics could help students:
- How to write a winning college essay – tips on how to handle the different parts of the essay such as the introduction, thesis statement, body paragraphs, and conclusion.
- What students should know about applying to colleges in the US vs applying to colleges in the UK
- Writing an effective college admissions resume – things you should include when creating a resume for your application such as extracurricular activities, awards or honors you have received, job experience, etc.
28) Study Tips for College Students
Everyone knows that college students have a lot to do not just in terms of school but also with their social lives and part-time jobs. Thus, it's important to know how to manage your time well so that you can get everything done. These study tips could help students with this:
- How to prioritize tasks when there is too much work
- Tips for studying efficiently – time management strategies that will allow the student to finish all their schoolwork on time including studying without distractions, setting a schedule for homework and exams…etc.
- How to avoid common college student procrastination
- How to stay focused when studying
29) Student Budgeting Topics
College students are busy people, with lots of expenses and not enough money. It's important to stay on top of your finances so that you can avoid debt. The best way to save money as a student is to understand how you should spend it.
As a student blogger, you can blog on topics such as:
- Simple budgeting tips for college students
- Budgeting planners for college students
- Tips to save money in college
- Financial literacy for college students
- Improving your credit score as a student
30) Dealing With the Freshman 15
When you move away from home and go to college, there are so many things you can try for the first time. One of those is definitely food! For some reason, going grocery shopping on your own is a lot more difficult than going with your parents or siblings.
Someone who is having trouble keeping up with their diet is probably asking how they're going to live a healthier lifestyle. A college blogger could answer these questions by providing tips and tricks on how to eat better in college:
- Tips for cooking healthy meals – planning your shopping list, what to look for when buying groceries, cooking without a recipe…etc.
- How to make salads even if you don't have all the ingredients
- Clean eating as a lifestyle – eating clean doesn't necessarily mean you have to eat expensive and bland food. There are actually some pretty affordable tasty recipes to try.
- How to avoid the freshman 15
- Healthy eating tips for college students
31) Graduation Gifts for College Students
Graduation is a milestone that deserves celebrating and the perfect time to give gifts. Since graduation comes once in a lifetime, it's important to get gifts that will last and won't end up in the trash.
For these posts, you're targeting friends, parents and other relatives of the graduands. You can write about:
- Unique DIY graduation gifts that they'll love
- Graduation gift ideas for college students
- Graduation gifts for finance majors
- Graduation gift ideas for a nursing student
32) How to Get Involved at College (and Why You Should)
Getting involved in college will help build character and teach you valuable lessons. If you can write about how to get involved in college, then people reading your blog will definitely become interested!
The best way to encourage college students to get involved is to tell them how it can help them in the future.
College blogger topics could be:
- How getting involved at college will lead you towards your career goals
- Why you should invest time in extracurricular activities during college
- Tips on how to get involved even if you're shy
- What extracurricular activities to pick based on what you want to major in
- Best college activities to be part of that will help you in your career
33) College Party Tips
Students are often excited about their social lives after moving out of their parent's house. While it's alright to party and have fun, it's also a good idea to be safe.
There are a lot of parties going on during the first few weeks of the school year and many people want to make sure that they're going to have a good time without getting hurt or hurting someone else. You can write about:
- Healthy ways to party – drinking responsibly, having fun without drugs or alcohol…etc.
- 24-hour hangover cure for college students
- Top 10 party cities and what you can do there besides partying…etc.
- The best party schools in the USA/world to attend if you love to have a good time…etc.
34) Dating as a College Student
This is more of a personal blog topic but if you're feeling daring, then try it out! Students nowadays are really into dating, especially those who have just started college. Write about your thoughts on relationships and love – or just have a funny take to share.
You can talk about:
- Best dating apps for college students
- Dating tips every college student should know
- College sweethearts – what makes college relationships different from others
- How to deal with a break-up when you're in college…etc.
- What is love and how to know when you've found it?
- College dating rules and etiquette
- Getting over your ex…etc.
35) How to Write a Personal Essay
Essays are not only used for school assessments, they're also used by universities to determine which applicants will be accepted into their programs. If you want to apply at a university that uses essays as part of their admission process, you gotta ace your personal essay.
Writing a personal essay can be a daunting task, especially for someone who has never written one before. If you're struggling with this type of task, you can write about:
- How to start a personal essay
- Tips on writing a college admissions essay
- The best way to organize your thoughts when writing an essay
36) How to Start a Blog as a College Student
Starting your own blog is a great way to showcase your passion and talent. And if you're a student, having a blog will help build your authority online by showcasing your expertise in this field.
To help students start their own blogs, you can cover topics such as:
- How to start a blog for college students
- 10 tips for student bloggers by student bloggers
- 5 reasons why starting your own blog is important if you're a college student…etc.
- How to choose the right blog niche for your student blog
- Types of student blogs you can start today
37) Entrepreneurial-related topics
You can also target motivated students looking for ways to start their own businesses. There are many interested in entrepreneurship because they want to be able to work anywhere, anytime, while making their own choices.
You can blog about:
- How to become an entrepreneur in college or at a young age
- Student entrepreneurs who are already successful – how they started, what inspired them…etc.
- Ideas for student businesses and why they can be profitable…etc.
- How to raise money for your business
- The top online business ideas for college students
38) Living off-campus
For many students, choosing to live off-campus rather than on it is a big step. It's a new way of living that displaces the need to follow the rules of dorm life.
If you lived off-campus, what would your ideal living arrangement be? What are your favorite places in your city to live and why? Or do you think it's better for students to live on or off-campus?
You can blog about:
- Tips and advice for first-time off-campus renters
- How to find good roommates when living off-campus
- What you should know before signing a lease…etc.
- 20 things every college student should know about living off-campus
- Where students can find affordable housing options near their universities…etc.
- Living off-campus vs living on campus
- Tips when looking for an apartment off-campus with other students
- How to budget your expenses as a college student living off-campus
- First-time renter's mistakes and how to avoid them…etc.
- How to save money when going home for the holidays
- Best part-time jobs for students who live off-campus or near their campuses
39) Student Discounts and Deals
Students are always looking for discounts and deals, especially those who are tight on a budget. Write about the latest promotions and offers from different establishments to help students save money. Share tips on how to get textbooks for cheap, where to buy the cheapest laptops, and the best thrift stores for students fashion.
40) Life After College
Last but not the least, one of the best blog topics for students is life after college. This topic ties up with the earlier discussion about personal development, and it's perfect for students who're just beginning to think about their future.
Here are some great ideas:
- Five career paths you should consider after graduation
- Ideas on what to expect after college – finding your first job, how to save money…etc.
- How to find jobs after college with no experience
- Life after college for finance majors
- College graduates and their first million…etc.
A few guidelines when starting your student-focused blog
If you are starting your own student-focused blog, then I recommend you consider the tips below in order to grow a successful blog.
1) Pick a topic that interests you the most.
2) Write about what you know – don't just repeat information that is widely available on the web. Share your insights and be unique!
3) Your blog posts should be educational, inspirational or motivational. In other words, you want to inspire change in your readers.
4) Incorporate actionable tips and advice to show how what you're saying can actually be applied in real life.
5) Make your blog as professional as possible by investing in a web design service and hiring a graphic designer to help with the creation of your branding assets such as logos and illustrations.
6) Take the time to read up on SEO and keyword research so as to optimize your content for search engines
Running a student-focused blog is a great way to gain authority online by showcasing your expertise in this field. By writing informative blog posts, you can attract an audience that will be interested in what you have to say, and perhaps even become loyal readers who'd want to see your blog continue for years to come.
With all of these topics to choose from, you now have a repository of blog post ideas to dish from every time you're stuck.
If you enjoyed this article, make sure to check out our other articles on how to start a blog. You can also explore topical blog post ideas, niche by niche.
Do you know other good blog topics for students? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!