Nowadays, it seems as if everyone and their mother are joining the blogging industry. They are doing so for a good reason. Today, blogging is an effective way to create brand awareness while offering useful and relevant content to your target audience.
If you are a fashion enthusiast and want to learn how to start a fashion blog, relax.
You are at the right place. Though it’s easy to start a fashion blog, making money from it is another story.
What’s Fashion Blogging?
Fashion blogging is writing articles about style and fashion in your blog. As a fashion blogger, you’ll also be publishing outfit photos and fashion show videos. Fashion bloggers double up as models, journalists, and stylists.
Why Start A Fashion Blog?
There are many reasons why you may want to start a fashion blog. All of them revolving around the benefits that come with it.
Some of the benefits of starting a fashion blog include:
1. Starting a Fashion Blog Gives You the Chance to Write About What You Love.
You’ll never have to write about something boring or something you are not interested in.
If you are a shopping fanatic and love clothing and fashion, you’ll write about your shopping experiences and share your stories and passion with your loyal audience.
2. Your Fashion Blog Helps You Build Your Creativity
You must be creative when running a blog. Your readers need relevant, funny, interesting content, and you must deliver.
Having a blog trains you to think critically. You have to exercise your creativity muscle. Every time you sit down to write a fashion blog post, you’re compelled to determine the best way to tell your story. This unfolds that creative part of you that would have never come out.
Every day you are always thinking and finding new angles from which you can tell your fashion experiences. With time, you become better, your writings start to flow.
3. A blog Can Help You Network with the Industry Bigwigs
Who knows? The climax of running your blog could be an invitation to attend high-end fashion events and meet with like-minded people, and your life could change forever. Some of such events are;
- Paris Fashion Week
- New York Fashion Week
- London Fashion Week
- ANDAM Fashion Awards, among others
A fashion blog can earn you cash while at the same time, enabling you to express yourself creatively.
Examples of Fashion Bloggers
Below are some of the best fashion blog examples you can start following for inspiration.
- Wendy Nguyen- Wendy’s Look book
- Kristina Bazan- Kayture
- Julia Berolzheimer
Here’s How to Start a Fashion Blog.
To start a profitable fashion blog, follow these simple yet crucial steps:
Step 1: Select Your Suitable Niche
Fashion is a broad niche. To start a blog that makes you money within a year, you need to go for a more niched topic. This way you can easily dominate the niche and have Google associate your site with that topic.
There are different directions you can take when selecting a niche for your fashion blog. Some of the fashion topics you can blog about include:
|Men’s Wear||Women’s Fashion||Casual Looks|
|Designer suits||Designer Shoes||DIY Fashion Tips|
|Mother’s wear/ Maternity Fashion||Accessories/Jewelry||Handbags|
|Petite Fashion||Plus-size fashion||Local designers|
|business/ official fashion||Winter wear||Vintage/ Antique Lingerie|
|Hoodies and Sweatshirts||German fashion||Italian wear|
|vintage/ Designer hats||Personal styling||Fashion Kids|
|Eyewear||Tall Girl Fashion||Fashion Trends|
|Handmade Fashion||New trends/ contemporary fashion||Product reviews on fashion|
|Special occasion Fashion Wear||Celebrity fashion||Fashion Design|
|Affordable Fashion||Fashion look book||Fashion Online Shopping|
Step 2: Name Your Fashion Blog Succinctly.
After picking the fashion niche to blog on, find a suitable name to brand your blog. Make your blog name relevant by using words that denote what your blog is all about.
Depending on who your target audience is, you may decide to include words in your blog name that points to the following aspects:
- Budget fashion: thrift, minimal, DIY, economical, etc.
- High-end fashion: couture, classic, posh, exquisite, etc.
- Casual fashion: chill, laid-back, beyond office, carefree, etc.
- Petite fashion: Petite, slim etc.
- Plus-Size: Curvy, Plump, roomy, extra, etc.
- Men’s fashion: gent, lapel, bespoke, etc.
Now, when coming up with the name of your fashion blog, there are four main approaches that you can take:
Personal brand: You can decide to use your name or a combination of your name and your niche. For instance, jessylauma.com, jessylaumadesigns.com, jessyfashionblog.com, etc.
Note: there’s only one downside to using your name in your fashion blog, and that is it might be hard to sell if it ever comes to that.
Creative Names: Here you allow your creativity to brand you. Some of the creative fashion blogs include the blonde salad, SongofStyle, WeWoreWhat, StyleBubble, Style by Three.
Keyword focus: You can also decide to name your fashion by ensuring that you have your main keyword in your blog’s name and domain. So, you can have names like fashiontipsforgirls.com, trendinginfashion.com, allvintagehats.com, africanwear.com, etc.
Flair: You can let your personality shine through your fashion name. Use words like silly, crazy, outrageous, messy, wild, sweet, quirky, etc.
Checklist for your fashion blog name:
- Is the name catchy and memorable?
- Is it easy to spell and pronounce?
- Does it stand out from those used by other fashion bloggers?
- Is the name relevant to your fashion niche?
Here are a few some of the best creative fashion blog name ideas for your inspiration:
|Glam Life||Stylish Man/Stylish Woman|
|Inside the Wardrobe||Sharp Closet|
|Delightful Collections||Born to Wear This|
|Blame it on the shoes||All Vintage Hats|
|Trendy outfits||Glamorous teens|
|Vintage Stuff||Smart Wear|
|Glamour Insights||Curvy Styles|
|Clash of Colors||Summer in Winter|
|Music in fashion||Attire Allure|
|Runway sensation||Dressed by Instincts|
|Wardrobe Oxygen||Where Did U Get That?|
|Does My Bum Look 40?||We Wore What|
|The World’s My Runway||Damsel in Dior|
|5 Inch and Up||Beauticurve|
|That’s Chic||Affordable Beauty|
If still stuck, you can try some blog name generators. Simply insert your preferred word or words into the generator and these tools will return hundreds of options that also have domain names available.
Step 3: Register Your Domain Name.
Once you have identified and decided on your alluring blog name, the next step is to go ahead and find a suitable domain name. Many times, you will find that your preferred domain is not available and hence the need to try some iterations.
Always go for a.com TLD if you can, but if your fashion blog targets people from your country name, then you are better with a country .TLD such as .ca, .us, co.uk and hosting plan for your fashion blog. If it comes to it, you may need to tweak your blog name so that you can have a matching domain name that is available.
For domain names, it’s advisable that you register them all in one domain name registrar such as Namecheap and then point the name servers to your domain website hosting services like Bluehost or HostGator.
Step 4: Get a Reliable Hosting for Your Fashion Blog
Registering your domain name alone won't make your site active. To make your site active and live online, you have to host it with a dependable web hosting company to allow everyone to access your website regardless of their location globally.
Bluehost is one of the best web hosting companies that is affordable for most bloggers who are just starting. It has a package for individuals of every financial level. It's affordable, reliable, secure, and makes it effortless to get your site off the ground. Their one-click WordPress installer makes it super easy to start building your blog in minutes.
Step 5: Choose a Perfect Fashion WordPress Theme
The presentation of your fashion blog is as important as the content itself. Thus, lots of thoughts should go into choosing the right Fashion WordPress theme for your website. Your reader's attention span is almost nil, and nobody enjoys reading through a wall of text.
You need an easily customizable theme that is simple to navigate and should be ready for mobile.
Typically, your WordPress theme should support the following:
- Content Readability: Your WordPress theme should use fonts that are easy to read and appealing to the eye. Also, paragraph spacing and letter spacing should have some breathing space.
- Simplicity: unless you run a WooCommerce store, you don’t really need a theme with lots of functionalities that you won’t even use.
- Responsiveness: Your theme should adjust seamlessly across all the devices. Fashion blogs make use of large portrait images. Your theme should be able to showcase them beautifully.
- Compatibility with page-builders: Page-builders make it easy to create any sort of landing pages or templates. Choosing a theme that supports major page-builders means that if the need arises, you won’t have to migrate to another theme. Changing themes always breaks your site and adds in a few hours of patching things up.
- Updates and Maintenance: Go for a popular theme that is well maintained. Themes that are provided by reputable companies such as Astra and Bluchic guarantee that they will be there for a very long time.
Over the years, we’ve found that using Astra Theme, Pro addon, and Elementor pro, you can build any type of site that you desire. All of my sites and client’s websites only use Astra Pro and Elementor Pro as they contain just enough functionalities that we need for any type of website.
Tips on Writing Your Fashion Articles
Your readers visit your site because they want to read your content. You need to write like a fashion editor. To make your content easy to read and understand:
Narrative approach: When fashion enthusiasts come to your blog, they are looking for something beyond just cute pictures and instructions. They want a story. This is the niche where you get to be expressive as possible. Give context to those photos.
Format content accordingly: Make your content easier to read by writing in short, punchy sentences, using subheadings, bullet points, and visual aids such as photos, comics, and memes.
Step 6: Create A Content Strategy for Your Fashion Blog.
Have a plan on how you can create content that will build a long-lasting relationship with your readers, build a following, make a lot of sales, and eventually grow your business. To do this, you need to:
- Know your customer’s location and their age range so that you can create content appealing to them.
- Select your Platform Checklist- choose your favorite social media platform.
- Create a regular publishing schedule.
- Plan your content strategically.
You can use these 7 ways to generate perfect blog post topical ideas for your fashion blog, if you ever run dry.
Step 7: Promote Your Fashion Blog
Setting up your blog and creating awesome content doesn’t really get you there. You need to devise ways on how you gonna promote your content online. A few suggestions to help build awareness of your blog include:
- Leveraging the power of Instagram and Instagram hashtags to draw traction to your unique fashion tastes. Build a following there and direct them to a squeeze page on your website.
- Tap on Pinterest’s algorithm. Fashion is big on Pinterest. Make your pins super clickable by using create wordings, photos, and graphics in your pins. Find great fashion pinners on the platform and follow them. Also, make sure you create SEO-optimized boards and only repin high-quality pins that are relevant to the said board. More Pinterest marketing tips.
- Get on TikTok: Promote your blog by doing fashion swap videos, quick changes videos as well as joining trending challenges.
- Optimize your content for SEO by doing keyword research and developing content that meets the on-page SEO recommendations.
Step 8: Monetize Your Fashion Blog
Now that you know how to start a fashion blog, create high-quality content for it, and promote it, the next step is to start earning cash from it.
Monetize your fashion blog in the following ways;
- Affiliate marketing: Join platforms such as Impact Radius, Flexoffers, and ShareaSale where you can find great fashion brands to collaborate with. Also, Amazon associates is a great affiliate program for fashion bloggers. Read these 10 blogging eBooks to learn how you can monetize your blog in different ways, including affiliate marketing.
- Selling your physical products: You can start a dropshipping store, sell your apparel using print on demand services such as Printify.
- Selling digital products: consider creating eBooks and courses around fashion and styling.
- Creating sponsored content: You can work with big fashion brands on paid content. Michelle earns $5000-$10,000 per sponsored post on her blog.
- Show Display ads: Grow your blog traffic using SEO, Pinterest, and other social media channels. You can then join high-paying ad networks such as Mediavine and Adthrive. With these ad networks, you will average above $1000 monthly.
- Becoming a brand ambassador: This way you can collaborate with brands and they pay you per month to publish content that promotes their product, showcase their banners on your sidebar or within your content, or even a link in the navigation menu.
- Creating sponsored Instagram posts: Fashion bloggers do well on Instagram. Once your account has amassed a few thousands of followers, brands may approach you for partnerships.
Start A Fashion Blog Today
Now that you know how to start a fashion blog, it’s time to act. Knowledge is power, but only when put to use. Please don't say that you'll do it tomorrow because tomorrow never comes. Start a fashion blog today and earn money even when you are snoring your nights away.
To get started, simply grab your affordable discounted web hosting today, or read The PennyMatters’ step-by-step guide on how to start a blog and make money online.