Selecting the perfect profitable blogging niche is a tedious process, especially when you have several options and cannot quite come to make up your mind.
Blogging is a tiresome and a demanding process, and so if you write about something you are not into it, you will definitely quit with time.
According to Internet Livestarts, there are over 1.5 billion websites on the world wide web today. Of these, less than 200 million are active. That means, of all the websites existing, only2.5% are active and accessible online.
The point is, yours could be one of the 2.667% active or 97.33% inactive, depending on the foundations you are laying right now.
In blogging, a blogging niche is a smaller segment of as wider topic that you intend to write about. For instance, personal finance, making money online, online business, are some of the blogging niches under wealth, which is a broader niche.
Why You Need to Choose a Blogging Niche…
Blogging is meant to be fun. We should all write about the things we love. So why in the world would you want to study the stats before venturing into the blogging world?
Well, choosing a niche will help you navigate through the blogging hurdles that will meet you along the way. Some of the benefits of blogging niche include:
- Helps you showcase your expertise and build a brand around it. It’s much easier being a master of something, than a master of all. You become the go to resource when it comes to a particular topic
- Blogging niche helps you dominate Google ranks faster. There are not so many people writing about the stuff you write about, and so you can focus on producing useful content, engaging your readers and ranking your ways up the pages of Google
- It’s easier building a fan base- your own empire which helps you build s loyal audience.
- This audience will make it easier for you to earn money blogging
Steps to Selecting the Right Blogging Niche
The golden rule is that the narrower the niche the better. You can choose to focus on copy-writing, internet marketing, teenage dating, farming for business, investment tips, book reviews, resources reviews, inspirational blogging, mindfulness, meditation, online business, political analysis, etc.
1. Identify Your Passions and Interests.
You want to blog about the things you enjoy doing and writing about. By choosing to follow your passion, you set yourself up in the right lane.
Make a ten-item list outlining interesting topics which you are passionate about and arrange them in the order of importance.
2. Consider Your Knowledge/Skills
Do you have the right skills and/or knowledge about the industry? What skills do you have and how can they be used in the niches above to give you a competitive edge.
3. Determine who is going to be your ideal audience.
Having a great and detailed audience profile can help you narrow your niche further. Some of the questions you need to answer in order to come up with your right audience profile include?
- Whom do you want to write to?
- Is he a man or a woman?
- What stage of life is he is at now?
- Is there a specific age bracket that he must belong to?
- What challenges is he experiencing right now?
- What is his bigger goal/dream?
4. Identify some of the problems you can solve.
For instance, you can decide to start a blog on writing tips. You have a wider audience and equally higher competition. On the other hand, you can decide to start a blog on writing tips for novelists.
Inspired by the list above, identify the problems you aim to solve in each of the industry. This is the big ‘why’ you want to enter the industry. Is there someone else solving this particular problem, and how good (bad) are they doing it?
5. Carry out an extensive research about your competitors.
Let’s pick it up from the point above. Identify anyone else solving/trying to solve the very problem you are solving. What is their target audience, and how established are they? Assess the competition in each of the topics you listed on step one.
A competitive niche implies that a profitability, but a hard one to break into. Consider the possibility that you can still win in this competitive niche if you decide to enter it nonetheless.
Best indicators include:
- Low-quality content by your competitors
- Lack of resources and content diversification such as videos, eBooks, infographics
- Lack of transparency and personal touch. If your competitors approach is faceless and overly corporate, you can adopt an authentic and transparent approach and break through the industry
- Determine profitability of the niche. How relevant will it be in future? What are some of the ways you can make money from it?
What type of blogging niches should you choose?
The rule of the game is to go by these five principles:
- Choose a niche that you love
- Choose a niche that people give a damn about
- Choose a niche that you want to grow in and be an expert at
- Choose a niche that you are knowledgeable in
- Choose a niche that will prove profitable in the long run.
If all fails, you can always resort to blogging about what you love. Don’t wait until you have the perfect blogging niche, as that might take years. By simply blogging, you will be able to find your true passion and inclination as you write along.
Want to get started Blogging?
Take advantage of Bluehost affordable hosting and set yourself up for success.