Want to learn how to start a money making blog in 2019?
Yes, it’s possible.
While anyone can start a blog, only a few can turn it into an income generating revenue. This is because shrewd blogging requires skills, expertise and experience.
Pros of Starting a Money Making Blog
- Blogging provides a place to learn, experiment and implement. Starting a successful blog requires you to take on new lessons, acquire new skills and network with professionals.
- You get first-hand information on what works and what doesn’t.
- Skills acquired will apply everywhere else. Think of the writing and marketing skills honed that will be useful in your career advancement as well.
- Your earning potential is limitless. As you get towards the top of the learning curve, you will be in a better position to devise new ways and means to increase your reach, and hence higher income
- You get paid to do what you love.
How to Start a Money making Blog: 11 Simple Steps
To start a blog that will substantially sustain you, you need to follow the steps below.
Step 1: Decide on your blogging niche.
Take time to find a niche that works for you, then niche down even further. For instance, you may want to blog about digital marketing. However, that’s quite broad so you may want to narrow down to seo, or even further, link building. A super niche blog will help you get noticed easily and quickly.
You will also be able to master your craft and write authoritative content that is better than your competitors as opposed to if you are writing on a dozen plus topics.
Some of the reasons why you need to choose a blogging niche include:
- Helps you showcase your expertise and build a brand around it. It’s much easier being a master of something, than a master of all. You become the go to resource when it comes to a particular topic
- Blogging niche helps you dominate Google ranks faster. There are not so many people writing about the stuff you write about, and so you can focus on producing useful content, engaging your readers and ranking your ways up the pages of Google
- It’s easier building a fan base- your own empire which helps you build s loyal audience.
- This audience will make it easier for you to earn money blogging
To find your blogging niche, consider factors such as your personal interests, hobbies, skills and expertise, your ideal audience etc. Remember you’re in for a long term goal, so you don’t want to settle on a boring subjects, since you will be doing majority of the content creation work.
Step 2: Decide on your blog name.
Branding is important for your blogging business. Get it right from the word go. You may use a name that clearly portrays your blog topic or even use your name if you want to build a brand around it.
Choosing a brand name can be tricky, since most of the desirable names you will think of, would have already been registered.
Your blog name is a key branding tool for your online business and web presence. Finding a good blog name isn’t easy, since every name imaginable has got its domain name already taken.
The good news however, is that you can leverage blog name generators and business name generators to help you come up with names around your preferred keywords.
You want to think of a blog name as something that gives your readers a clear picture of who you are, what you do and what you stand for. There are several blog name ideas online, and this even makes it harder to really narrow down to a blog name that you wouldn’t come to regret it later.
Once you have settled on a few names, check your domain name availability, using Bluehost Domain checker below. Simply enter your domain address and press Check to find out if your domain is available
Step 3: Get Your Blog Online
To get your blog online, you need two things: Web hosting company and a blogging software.
A web hosting company is a platform that stores all your websites’ assets such as files , retrieves and delivers them to your users as and when requested. If you are serious on how to start a money making blog, you need to self host your website. Free web hosts such as WordPress, medium and Blogspot do not give you flexibility that you need to start making money blogging
For your website to be available online, you need a reliable and affordable hosting. We recommend Bluehost WordPress Hosting. With Bluehost, you get to have domain for free and install WordPress at a click of a button.
You also need a blogging software. WordPress is used by more than half of the websites globally, and is very easy to set up and use so that you can be blogging in the next hour.
NB: If you bought a domain from a registrar such as Namecheap, but hosted your website on a different web host company such as Bluehost, you need to set up your domain nameservers from your domain registrar to point to your web hosting name servers.
Which Web Hosting Platform Should You Use?
We’ve been using Bluehost for over 5 years now for variety of our websites and blogs and we recommend them for various reasons.
- Bluehost registers your domain name for free so you do not need to pay extra $15 for domain name registration
- Bluehost customer support is responsive. Support is available both via phone and online chat.
- Bluehost have a free, simple one click installation of WordPress blogging software
- It’s a trusted web hosting provider that has been recommended by WordPress themselves since 2005
- Bluehost is a home of over 2,000, 000 websites
You can use any Bluehost link in this tutorial to grab your web hosting at a discounted price of up to $2.75/month
1: Go Here to Grab a Special Bluehost Price then click on the “Get Started” button
2: Select Your Plan: You’ve got 3 options to choose from. I recommend you opt for the Basic plan as a new blogger since you don’t have massive traffic yet. Thus no need to pay more for resources that you won’t use
3: Set up your domain. Type in your domain on the left “Create a new domain” text area then click on ‘Next” to proceed with the registration process.
NB: If you already own a domain and want to use that to set up your website, then enter that domain address instead, but on the right “Use a Domain You Own” text area
4: Fill out Your Billing Details
5: Customize your order by choosing hosting packages, duration and other options
- Your hosting comes with unlimited resources, WordPress installation and branded email accounts.
- 36 months duration gets you the lowest monthly prize equivalent while the annual plan is also relatively discounted.
- Uncheck the up-sells that you do not need at the moment to arrive at an affordable total charge to work with. These package extras include codeguard, sitelock security and bluehost seo tools which you actually do not need at this stage
6: Now Create a Password for your Bluehost Webhosting Account
You will then have an option to choose a WordPress theme to begin with. You will always change this theme later. Alternatively, you can skip this stage so that you can choose a professional theme later on.
Now your WordPress blogging software will be installed on your domain. Once installed, click on the “Start Building” button to be logged in to your wordpress website.
If the link doesn’t work then go to your Bluehost account and click on “Login to WordPress”
Step 4: Customize Your Blog
Login to Your Account.
You should already be logged in. If not, go to bluehost.com website and click on the Login link at the top-right side to be taken to the log-in page. Use your credetails that you just set up. If you’ve forgotten your password, you can click on ‘forgot password‘ link to reset it.
Customize the look of your website
You are now in your wordpress admin dashboard. There is a lot that you can do here. First you want to install a template (theme) that will be the foundation for the design of your website. There are thousands of themes available for free on WordPress. Choose the one that gives you the functionalities that you need.
To change your theme, you are gonna need to go to the Appearance link on the left menu, hover on it and click on the Themes on the submenu that appears when you hover.
Choose the theme you like and click on the “Install” button. Once it’s installed, click on “Activate” to start using your install theme.
From the left menu, go to appearance, then customize to set up your basic blog details such as site title, slogan, your brand colours etc, depending on the thee you chose.
Check your permalink structure: You want your urls to appear nicely. clean permalinks structure are good for seo. If you have already published some posts, it’s not recommended to change your permalink structure, because unless redirected, your website will have so many broken links. But since you are new, this should be the first thing you need to do.
- Go to Settings>> Permalinks
- If it’s not already selected, chose Post name. Click the “Save Change” button at the bottom of the page.
Change your username from admin. Can exploit the default admin username easily. WordPress, out of security reasons, does not allow you to change your username.
However, we can always have a workaround. To change it, create a new user with administrative privileges then delete the admin user.
- Go to Users >> All Users >> Add New.
- Fill out the new user information.
- Choose “Administrator” for role.
- Save your changes, then log out of WordPress.
- Log back in with the newusername and password you just created.
- Go to Users >> All Users.
- Hover over the old admin username in the list and click the delete link.
- Attribute all posts and links to the new user and confirm the deletion.