In today’s fast-paced world, technology has become an integral part of our lives. With the rise of new technologies and innovations, there is a growing demand for information and knowledge about these advancements.
As a result, tech blogging has emerged as a popular and lucrative niche for bloggers worldwide.
If you’re passionate about technology and want to share your knowledge with the world, starting a tech blog is a step in the right direction.
With industry tips and examples, this article will guide you on a step-by-step journey to start a tech blog in 2024. Read to the end to learn why starting a tech blog is smart.
What is a tech blog?
Before we delve into how to create a tech blog, it’s important to understand what it is first.
A tech blog is a type of website that focuses on publishing articles, reviews, news, and technology-related opinions. Tech bloggers cover a broad range of topics, from the latest gadgets and software to startups and trends in the tech industry.
Simply put, tech blogs aim to provide readers with informative and engaging content that helps them stay up-to-date with the fast-paced changes in the world of technology.
How to start a tech blog (Steps to follow)
Now that we know what a tech blog is, let’s dive straight into how you can make one in 2024.
1) Choose a micro niche to about
Technology is a vast subject that can’t be covered in one blog. For instance, both electric cars and marketing software fall under the “tech” category. It’s nearly impossible to write on these two subjects with authority on the same blog.
Therefore, you should identify a micro niche your blog will focus on. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Mobile technology: Focuses on smartphones, tablets, mobile apps, and related accessories.
- Gaming: This niche covers everything related to gaming, such as gaming hardware, video game reviews and news, and insights into the gaming industry.
- Artificial Intelligence: This niche explores the latest developments in the world of AI.
- eCommerce: Focuses on how to conduct business online.
We have a list highlight of over 100 tech niche ideas that you can use for inspiration.
These popular micro niches have a wide audience, including people who aren’t tech enthusiasts, but thousands of blogs are also dedicated to them.
You could also try less popular micro niches like solar technology, space exploration, farming technology, etc.
While these categories typically have smaller audiences, they have way less competition. So, if you pick them, you’re likely to have a consistent returning audience.
Ultimately, it’s essential to pick a niche that you understand and enjoy writing about to make the research easier.
2) Decide on the type of tech blog to start
Once you have your niche figured out, it’s time to decide the style of content you’ll post on your blog. Here are popular types of tech blogs:
- News and Reviews: These types of tech blogs are focused on covering the latest news and reviews of products, gadgets, and software in the tech industry.
- How-to tutorials: Focus on providing guides, tutorials, and how-to articles to help readers learn new skills, solve problems, and get the most out of their technology.
- Opinion and analysis: These blogs provide insightful opinions on industry trends.
- Startup and entrepreneurship: These types of blogs discuss startups, entrepreneurship, and innovation in the industry.
Just like in the micro niche, it’s important to pick a blog style you’re comfortable writing.
3) Get your domain name and hosting
With the steps above out of the way, it’s time to create the actual blog. Here, you’ll need to purchase a domain name and hosting space for your blog.
For easier management of your domains, I recommend using a dedicated domain name registration service for all of your domains. Namecheap is one of the best and cheapest domain name regisrars. The service allows you to have complete control over your domain names in one place.
For your hosting needs, you can try Bluehost. It is one of the most affordable hosting platforms and offers extra services like free domain registration and upto 99.99% up-time.
4) Build a tech blog with WordPress and Elementor
One of the main advantages of using Bluehost is that it gives you a one-click WordPress installer. Use this tool to get started right away.
You can then log in to your WordPress website, choose a simple WordPress theme like Astra, Kadence, or Blocksy and start customizing your blog.
For more control on how your tech blog looks, use a page builder plugin like Elementor. To get the best of features, I recommend grabbing a copy of Elementor Pro at just $49/year and unlock pro elements, dynamic tags and the ability to create unique templates for displaying single posts, pages and custom post types as well design other sections of your blog such as 404 pages, search results page, archive pages etc.
5) Install other necessary plugins
Depending on what type of blog you’re creating, you’ll need other plugins to help it rank better or to improve the overall experience.
For instance, you can use an SEO plugin like Rank Math to optimize your SEO. You can also try a review plugin if you’ll be focusing on review blogs.
An editorial plugin like Strive Calendar is also useful for a wide variety of blogs.
6) Write your first tech blog
With your blog up and running, you need to start creating tech content.
Here are a few tips to help you write a successful tech blog:
- Choose a tech topic that is relevant to your audience and your niche.
- Conduct thorough research to ensure that your information is accurate and up-to-date.
- Use clear and concise language to explain complex technical concepts.
- Use visuals such as images, videos, and infographics to illustrate your points.
- Break up your content into short paragraphs and use subheadings to make it easy to read.
- Use SEO best practices to optimize your post for search engines.
- Include calls to action to encourage engagement with your readers.
- Edit and proofread your post carefully to ensure that it is error-free and easy to understand.
One tool that can come handy when optimizing your tech content for SEO is Contentpace.
This tool can help you generate content briefs, research top 50 SERPs, and optimize content to include necessary headings, keywords, phrases, words in their recommended proportion. It’s similar to Surfer SEO, but cheaper.
At the time of writing this post, they had a lifetime deal on Appsumo. Use the link below to check it out
7) Outsource tech content
While it’s possible to have a successful blog by exclusively writing the content yourself, you don’t have to. If you aren’t tech savvy, you you’ll have higher chances of success if your blog has versatile posts from other professional tech bloggers.
You can outsource tech blog writers on freelance platforms like Upwork, or Fiverr.
Another alternative is to work with a blog writing service such as Panda Copy or Writer Access for a more streamlined content outsourcing.
Examples of tech blogs to inspire you
Creating your first tech blog can be intimidating if you don’t know where to start. Here are a few examples you can look at for inspiration:
- CNET Tech: This is an American tech blog that focuses on product reviews, tech news, and category deep dives from industry experts.
- Sentinel Labs: This blog focuses on cybersecurity news and trends, with occasional insights from cybersecurity experts.
- Kotaku: This is one of the most popular gaming blogs. It covers everything from gaming hardware to new games.
How to make money with a tech blog
There are several ways to monetize your tech blog. They include:
- Digital Products: Creating and selling digital products such as eBooks, courses, or software.
- Advertising: Displaying ads on your blog, either through networks like Google AdSense, Ezoic, Mediavine, or directly with advertisers.
- Affiliate Marketing: Promoting products or services through affiliate links, earning a commission on each sale.
- Sponsored Content: Creating content sponsored by a brand or company, promoting their products or services.
- Product Reviews: Publishing reviews of products or services, earning revenue through affiliate marketing or sponsored content.
Should you start a tech blog?
Starting a tech blog can be a rewarding and lucrative endeavor for those who are passionate about technology and have the desire to share their knowledge and insights with others.
By following the tips outlined in this article, you can establish a successful tech blog and build a loyal readership. Whether you choose to monetize your blog or not, the process of creating and maintaining a tech blog can be an enriching experience that allows you to connect with like-minded individuals and contribute to the tech community.