Offering resume writing services is one of the best small business ideas that any proficient writer can start. There are several resume writing freelancers out there who make a living fine-tuning resumes. You don’t want to limit yourself to freelancing, since you can create a thriving resume writing business.
Most professionals are good at what they do, selling themselves on paper is quite a different task. By slowly examining and analyzing your clients, you can create irresistible resumes that will get them land those jobs.
In case you are wondering on how to start a resume writing business if you are a complete beginner, this article is for you.
To start a resume writing business, you don’t need to be a pro writer. You however, need to be good in analyzing people, jobs, employers and situations, or be able to hire someone who can.
Benefits of Starting a Resume Writing Business
- No significant start-up costs. To start a resume writing business, you need a professional looking website. Click here to get one.
- Writing Professional resumes is a skill that can be easily acquired. By taking time to read successful resumes online, you will be able to know what works and what doesn’t.
- It’s an online business which you can run from home. You are therefore not limited on whom and how you work with. Simply integrate a payment processing surface such as Send Owl to your website and start collecting payments for your services. Through email, messaging and VoIP or video-calls, you can run your business anywhere in the world.
- You can run your business part-time or full-time
- No formal training is necessary, although a background in human relations or recruiting is a quite a plus.
- Through email, messaging and VoIP or video-calls, you can run your business anywhere in the world.
What happens during a typical day at a resume writing business?
As a resume business owner, your day to day activities will revolve around:
- Writing resumes from scratch Conduct interviews with job candidates over the phone or in person
- Editing resumes and interview correspondence
- Researching new recruiting trends
- Updating your website and social media presence
- Outsourcing some aspects of your resume writing business such as web designing and digital marketing
- Adapting resumes to particular market trends
- Content marketing to acquire new clients
- Analyzing competition and improving accordingly
- Overseeing general production aspects with aid of your team
- Guest posting on other websites as a way to market your brand and land new clients
- Writing case studies and success stories
- Collecting and beautifully displaying relevant testimonials
What is the average salary for a certified resume writer?
Rates in this niche vary widely based on the complexity of the resume, expertise of the client and the industry. A standard resume to land an specialty job at an established company is around $150 to $300 while a resume for an executive professional role at Fortune 5000 company can be somewhere above $500.
In a year, it’s therefore possible to earn around $38,000 just for writing resumes if you are a certified freelance resume writer. You can however earn way more if you are running a complete full time resume writing service company .
Who usually hires in this field? (Your Customer Profile)
- Business executives wanting to improve their resumes
- Human resource groups
- Fresh graduates
- Individuals who are looking for new jobs/ jobs seekers
- Laid-off individuals looking for work
How to Grow Your Resume Writing Business
If you’ve been in business for a while, chances are majority of your clients will be as a result of referral. However, since you are just starting, you will need to do a bit of work in marketing your business. Below are some of the things you need to grow your resume business and land new resume clients:
Run workshops Teaching People How to Write Winning Resumes.
You run a resume writing firm. You’ve got some great insights that can position you as an expert in your field. By speaking in relevant workshops and empowering job seekers, you get seen, you get heard and you get noticed. Find relevant events happening around you and contact organizers to volunteer as a speaker or workshop facilitator.
Partner with learning institutions
Most universities and colleges are incorporating professional skills in addition to the normal academic skills to their programs. Resume writing is a very instrumental professional skill that students would be interested in learning. Most local universities don’t mind outsourcing career advice for their students and alumni.
Leverage the power of your referrals.
When people are satisfied with a service, they will spread a word to their acquaintances, family and friends. This is a powerful way to gain more clients. To leverage this method, you need to leave your clients with that ‘wow’ impression. That does the magic, every time.
To encourage referrals and maintain steady contact with former clients, send personalized thank you notes to them when we are finished with their projects and consistently send a monthly e-newsletter that is segmented accordingly. This is a way to also upsell some of your other services such as group coaching and staff training
Have a Well-designed and Professional Web Presence
Your website is your powerful lead generation tool. Don’t go lazy on it. Most of the times when people are referring to you, they will direct their referrals to your website. If your website doesn’t stand up to the standards of your services, your prospects will always safely assume that your service are not that good.
Write a Book on Resume Writing/ Career Development
This is a good fit if you’re coming from Human resource and recruiting background as you already have vast amounts of knowledge that you can compile into a great read. By authoring a niche book, you will be positioning yourself as a writer and it will help build your brand quickly and a lot easier. Landing guest posting and speaking engagements will also be a lot easier when you have a relevant book under your name.
Blog about Resume Writing, Job Interviews and Career Advice on Resume Writing Business Website
Love it or hate it, content marketing is the future of advertising. Most successful SaaS companies invest heavily in writing stellar and most comprehensive article that get noticed, both by search engines and readers. Your blog posts draws people into your website, have them subscribe to your email list, so that you can follow up with your resume services.
Join Professional Resume Associations
Joining a professional association is a great way to broaden your network and enhance your knowledge and expertise. Most of these associations have access to vast amount of resources such as case studies, whitepapers, books and other collections.
Some of the renowned professional resume associations to help you build a thriving resume writing business include:
- Professional Association of Résumé Writers & Career Coaches
- The National Resume Writers Association
- National Association of Executive Recruiters
These associations also offer resume writing certifications that make you a recognized resume writer
Invest Money Back in Online Advertising (Facebook ads and Google Ads)
To grow your business, you’ll need to spend money, and one way to do that right is by doing Facebook ads and Google adwords. These types of ads are now costly than they used to, so finding an Ads expert can be a good bold move. If not, take time to learn Facebook advertising before investing large sums of money without conversions. Try several variations and find the ones that convert highly with low cost per click rates.
Create Viral Pins and Infographics to Circulate on Pinterest.
We can’t seem to have enough of this visual babe. Some of the best pins that can go viral and grow your resume writing business include the following titles:
- 177 Power Words to Jazz Up Your Resume
- 57 Sample Cover Letters to Inspire You
- 77 Places to Look for a job
- 53 Common Interview questions and how to respond to them
In Summary: 7 Proven Steps to Get Paid Writing Resumes and Running a Resume Writing Business
- Start a beautiful website and brand your business accordingly
- Do deep keywords research to find long tail keywords about resumes that you can easily rank for
- Start a blog on Resume writing and publish exceptionally awesome posts
- Find local clients to start with and aim on collecting raving reviews
- Guest post on popular publications giving detailed tips on career development, CV and Resume writing as well as life at work /after college experiences
- Book your first clients, deliver pure gold and ask for testimonials
- Showcase your testimonials on your website and slowly expand your business
What are the ongoing expenses for a resume writing business?
Resume writing business doesn’t have much ongoing expenses.
Some of the most notable include computer maintenance, expansion incurrences, marketing expenses, salary if you have a team, personal salary (you should form a habit of paying yourself a fixed salary every month) refreshments for staff and clients, transport expenses, ongoing education in online building, outsourcing fees etc.
How much profit can a resume writing business make?
Since your resume writing services business have low recurring expenses, most of your earnings will be pure profit. Most resume writing services have annual income that ranges from 50,000 to 200,000 Fortunately, most of the money you make will be pure profit.